Saturday, January 23, 2010

Snowshoeing to the Sunshine

Last week was cloudy and gloomy. We were even under a flood watch with all the rain and unseasonably warm weather (40 degrees) we had been having. We have little more than a couple of inches of snow left on the ground in the lower elevations. It has been pretty incredible. Not that I am complaining. This mild winter has been a great one for breaking ourselves in to real winters far from the southern border.

We were growing tired of the gloom and fog so, one morning we grabbed our snowshoes and headed for higher ground. We hiked up to some property we have been eyeing and once there, though the view was nil thanks to the fog, we got to take in some brilliant sunshine and blue sky. The temps were also nice and mild that day and I did most of the hike without my jacket. It was certainly a nice break from the hum-drum gray sky and rain that had been hanging around. We also got to see a gorgeous bird that I have yet to identify.  Any takers?  At first I guessed golden eagle, but it is not brown enough, too much white.  Maybe an Osprey?  I think not.  I will keep researching and post if I find an answer.












 

Hope to go adventuring again soon since we are having some gorgeous weather. It'll probably snow now. :)

No comments: