Saturday, October 24, 2009

Food Adventures

Not having a job has left me with a lot of free time. And since life is just different here, going at a slower pace and being more reminiscent of days past, I have taken on some new "hobbies"....gardening, canning, and cooking. I am not sure the hobby is the right word, it is really more like I have learned some new skills. Within a couple of weeks of moving into the new rental house, I had the opportunity to meet a couple of lovely local ladies who, I learned, were into gardening and growing their own fruits and veggies AND canning. Since our house has a nice garden with apples, plums, pears, tomatoes, squash, peppers, and blackberries that I needed to do something with, I took one of the ladies up on her offer to teach me the basics of canning. So, on a nice Sunday afternoon, with my friend K in tow, we headed to Curlew for our course in canning 101. We learned how to use a boiling water canner and prepare our jars, lids, and food for the canning process. That day we made peach salsa, stewed tomatoes, BBQ sauce, and zucchini salsa. It was such a treat. I managed to snap a few pics of our yummi-ness filled jars before, during, and after the canning process.


The finished products


Zucchini salsa jars starting their processing in the boiling water canner


Zucchini salsa prior to processing


Now for an introduction to my garden...


Apples, not sure if they are Granny Smith or Golden Delicious yet, but I have 3 trees LOADED


Plums (apparently they do not turn purple), have to research what variety they might be, but the tree is full!



Delicious cherry tomatoes and large yellow tomatoes



My first real Washington apple, eaten in Washington



My daily haul...yellow squash, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, yellow tomatoes, and peppers



Our first real meal in the house...fresh veggies from the garden, black beans, and green enchiladas. YUMMY!

2 comments:

lala00 said...

My mouth is watering!! I've been missing yellow squash and would kill for some of those green enchiladas right now! How about some of those for Christmas gifts :)

amber said...

I tell you what...Betty Crocker has nothing on you my friend!! :) Everything looks soooo good. I wish I was there to try it all AND so you could teach me how you do all of this.

I miss you!! and love ya too!!